Grow your own sunshine!
Sunflowers are the essence of summer and their big bold yellow flowers are pure happiness. They’re a wonderful magnet for bees, and sunflowers have the clever ability to turn their faces towards the sun until the flower heads mature and are then fixed in the one direction.
October is the perfect time to sow your very own mini field of sunflowers!
Yates® Yellow Empress Sunflowers will grow to an impressive 1 – 1.5 m tall and develop very large flowers up to 35 cm in diameter. They can be grown as a dramatic garden backdrop or create a stunning flower bed feature.
Grow your own sunflowers with these easy steps:
- Find a spot with well-drained soil that receives at least 6 hours of sunshine a day and is sheltered from wind.
- Enrich the soil by digging in some Yates Dynamic Lifter® Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser. It helps to improve soil quality and attract earthworms and beneficial soil microorganisms.
- Sow Yates® Yellow Empress Sunflower seed 12 mm deep, direct where the plants are to grow. Firm down, water gently and keep moist throughout the germination period.
- Seedlings will emerge in 10 – 14 days.
- Feed the plants each week with Yates Thrive® Roses & Flowers Liquid Plant Food, which is a complete fertiliser that’s boosted with additional flower-promoting potassium.
- As the plants grow, they may need to be supported with a stake.
- Flowering will start from around 12 weeks after sowing.
- Flower stems can be cut for a beautiful vase display. For optimum vase life they’re best picked in the cool of the early morning, before the flowers are too old, and remove all the leaves that will sit below the water.